Friday, August 19, 2005

Sir, you are very lucky

Knitting
It’s amazing how a day of knitting can produce so little. Well, maybe not a day of knitting. I was home sick yesterday with a sinus infection. So I thought, Great, I can get so much knitting done today! Not.

Below is my progress on Sorbet. It's 2x2 ribbing, on #4 needles, so you see why it's going to be a while. My ribbing is a little off in a couple of places but this section is down at the waist so I figure I can get away with it. There is no pulling out just a few rows with this yarn because it is so fine. Getting the stitches back on the needles would be painful. It's all or nothing.


I took a vacation day today, although I think I am going to claim it to be a sick day on my timecard. I am going to head to Bethesda (Md.) to hit a movie and the yarn shop Knit+Stitch. I took a sock knitting class there in the spring that was really good. It was just one night a week for 3 weeks which was perfect for me.

And I am going to swing by the office and pick up my new digital camera that arrived today. Cool.




Other Amusements
Last Sunday my friend Corey and I went to see “March of the Penguins” in Georgetown. This was a major feat as Corey does not leave the house if the tempurature hits 90. Needless to say, he’s been miserable this summer. So we got there a little early and I cajoled him into taking a short walk down to the Potomac to take a look at what was going on.

As we are approaching that swanky apartment building and that walkway w/restaurants and stores (Bangkok Joe’s is great Thai food, and they have this dim sum thing going on) we hear in the background,

“Excuse me sir. Sir! Excuse me, sir!”

Huh, what, is that guy talking to us? He’s at least 20 feet away so it was hard to tell.

The middle-aged black man in a security guard uniform gets our attention as we cross paths.

“Sir, let me just say how lucky you are.”

“Oh, thank you, yes, thank you,” Corey replies nervously.

Can I die now? I almost called out, “We are not together!” but was so dumbfounded I couldn’t sputter anything.

And then we laughed and laughed.

It was flattering, in a weird sort of way.

No comments: