Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Knitting on a plane

Knitting


So I made some progress on the second sock on my flight to Tampa. I am pretty psyched that this sock patterning looks very similar to the other one. It has the same spiral of dark purple, you might be able to see it in the picture.

And I brought Sorbet, the spiral scarf, and the 70s sweater. So ambitious! I am here until Sunday morning, but I am going to see if there is a late flight back on Saturday.




Other Amusements
I love cab drivers. They are some of the nicest, most interesting, and insightful people you can meet in this country. I look forward to chatting w/my driver, either in DC or my final destination.

Like today, my driver in Tampa was the loveliest man. He was a handsome, middle-aged Jamaican, has lived in Tampa since his mother shipped him off in 1969, at age 16, to live w/his uncle because she couldn’t handle him anymore.

We talked about sports, college, education, marriage, kids. Two of his 3 sons graduated from college while he didn’t even finish high school. He worked on the docks in Tampa for 30+ years and now he drives a cab.

When I told him I wasn’t married, he told me his brother, a confirmed bachelor, got married for the first time at 52. He is a hotel manager in Ocho Rios and met his wife when she was vacationing and a guest at his hotel. She is from Philadelphia. They recently got married and they live in Jamaica. Isn’t that a great story!

So the next time you are in a cab, start a conversation with your driver.

Dating
Which is a good segway to MY love life. Charles. I am so conflicted. I think he is blowing me off again. At what point do I say enough. Or am I overreacting.

I think I am going to keep on this same path, meeting other people, not putting all my eggs in one basket. It’s too soon. I am so bad at this.


Must run, "Lost" is on!

No comments: