Friday, March 10, 2006

U-turn ahead

Dear readers, I have been holding out on you. The dating life has taken a major turn this week. Major.

Remember Chris, met back in December, went out a couple of times, had fun, then he disappeared? He then resurfaced in January, acting a bit aloof, which was getting annoying. All I wanted to know was ‘What do you want? Are we just going to talk on the phone occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes? Will we ever see each other?’ It was going nowhere.

I took my friend Sophie’s advice, don’t call him. Ever. Even in a moment of weakness. So I didn’t. (Except for last Thursday.)

Brrring-brrring on Tuesday afternoon.
It’s Chris, how are you, do you want to meet at Starbucks after work today, call me on my cell.

Brrring-brrring. Hi Chris, what’s up.

We have perfectly enjoyable conversation. Banter, wit are passed back and forth. And then I went for it. “So, do you want to meet for coffee in a few?” He wasn’t asking so I thought I would.

We met at Starbucks in Dupont Circle. You know, the triangular one. It was crowded so we sat outside because it was pretty nice. More enjoyable conversation, banter, wit. We talked about the black/white thing again, are we seeing anyone, do we have any prospects. Then moved to Books a Million because it was getting chilly.

The place was empty, perfect for the conversation getting more serious. Then Chris starts pouring his heart out to me. How much he likes me, how afraid of his feelings for me he was, how he was hoping I was dating someone when he got back in touch in Jan. so he could just not deal with his feelings and move on, how when you reach our ages (36 & 37) you know what you want in a mate, how he thought he had it together on his walk to Starbucks but when he saw me standing there reading the paper he lost it again. Yadda yadda yadda. Forgive the yaddas, but I can’t even remember half of what he said. Does that happen to you in intense situations?

Phew, I was overwhelmed. But in a good way. In a great way! All of this has been sinking in and we have talked a lot since and it is all really good.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Ooh, you were casting a spell over this man and you didn't even know it! Congrats, I hope this proceeds well for you. It is the perfect time for blossuming relationships, isn't it?