Sunday, August 29, 2010

Preparing for winter


This year I have a new farm for CSA, Bending Bridge Farm in Penn. I am using the newish model of paying upfront for the CSA, like normal. The difference is I get to pick out what I want every week because they are at the Bethesda Central Farm Market every Sunday. I do my shopping and they debit my total from my share. I am so happy with this model because I am not getting stuff I don't want in quantities I could never finish in one or even two weeks. If you are in a CSA, I highly recommend this new model. And my farm has great selection: red and green peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, garlic, wax beans, green beans, Asian egglant, greens, lettuce, watermelon, cantaloupe, and more.

And being at the farm market every week is great because what Audrey and Cameron do not have, like peaches, I can buy from the other farmers. I am spoiled by the peaches (at about $2.50/lb) and would like to freeze some for use later. After trying the popular cooking web sites (for example Epicurious and All Recipies) and finding them completely useless, I found some large university extension services with great resources on freezing fruit and vegetables:
University of Minn. Extension
Colorado State Extension
University of Ga. Cooperative Extension

This will be my project for the week.

No comments: