Thursday, July 05, 2018

Planning for the Fall Landscape


It has been extremely and unseasonably hot in the Mid-Atlantic where I live in USDA zone 7a. It’s hard to imagine wearing a sweater and admiring the fall foliage. But those days are coming and fall garden planning is on my mind. I have learned over the years that a successful flower bed or vegetable garden requires planning. Otherwise, I always feel like I am racing to catch up. And I never seem to catch up! 


Mum before pruning.
Mum after pruning.




















One aspect of the fall garden that I love is chrysanthemums. I have collected a few plants over the years that I have kept alive over the winter and planted in the ground in spring. I get them to bloom in the fall by cutting them back about half-way around Independence Day. This allows the plants to continue growing, and forming flowers at the right time-when I am wearing a sweater and admiring the fall leaf color- and not in the heat of August. Aster is another plant that can be cut back now in order to have blooms in the fall.

How are you planning for your fall gardens?

No comments: