Sunday, January 09, 2022

Three Trusty Garden Education Resources

 January is the time of year I like to spend learning more about what I can do to help my gardens thrive, whether it is improving the soil, tips for keeping ahead of weeds, how to grow something new in vegetable bed, or just getting back to basics because there is always something to learn. I wrote this blog post back in 2018 and it is still useful.

There are so many free and low-cost resources for gardening inspiration and education. I have three trusty resources.


#1.
   The best overall resource for me is social media. I follow a number of gardeners on Twitter and Instagram. I follow gardening hashtags like #gardendc and #gardenplanning, garden shops, and other plant-related organizations like house museums and botanical gardens. Beautiful pictures and instructional videos enhance the experience.

Nasturtium
Nasturtium   
 

#2.   One of the silver linings of the of the pandemic is the adoption of online learning and Zoom. Now I do not have to drive anywhere to hear gardening experts in my area AND I can access speakers near and far.  I do prefer speakers who are in my physical area because they are most likely going to present in the context of my climate in the mid-Atlantic so the plants they talk about will most likely be compatible with my area. Often the speaker’s presentation will be recorded, too.

#3.   I also love the library because it’s free and the collection is vast. Browsing the stacks at your local library is a good place to start, but also look at the online catalog and request books. They usually are ready for pick-up in a few days.

No comments: