Friday, February 01, 2019

Seed Swap Haul


The seed swap I attended last weekend was really fun. There were tons of flowers, vegetables and herb seeds to choose from and the variety was overwhelming. That’s the best part of seed swaps for me, seeing so many varieties all in one place. My haul included kale, dill, sunflowers, heirloom tomatoes and mini pumpkins.

A few of my highlights

    Clockwise: False indigo, suyo cucumber, Barry's crazy cherry tomotoes, Cosmic purple carrot
  • How could I pass up something called “Barry’s Crazy Cherry Tomatoes”? The package did not have a picture, but the name caught me in a way I don’t think a picture would  have. They are the yellow tomatoes in the photos.
  • Pea King Tut Purple were in the goody bag that I received when I registered. I have not grown peas in a few years, but I love the color of these peas! We were given the idea to grow these in a container using a tomato cage as a support. Great idea!
  • I love growing carrots; how could I not try Cosmic Purple Carrot? And what’s with my purple vegetable theme?
  • The curly Suyo cucumber are something new for me. They look fun and will be perfect in the community garden plot I hope to score this spring (fingers crossed).
  • False indigo is a native plant that will keep coming back – I love easy plants. I have a new sunny bed in my year because my neighbor recently cut down a very tall tree (it was 50% dead and dangerous) that shaded part of my yard.

No comments: