Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Know Where You're Sun and Shade Is

Welcome to Part 2 of my garden-planning-for-regular-people series. Planning ahead can really improve your gardening success and winter is the perfect time to start. I will share my experience and insights for planning ahead so you have a successful growing season.

In order for flowers, herbs and vegetables to grow successfully, they need have the right conditions. They is essentially sunlight, water levels, types of soil, health of soil, and climate.

Sunny container with pentas, lobelia.
Sun & Shade
From my perspective, the amount of sunlight hitting your beds daily is the number one factor that will determine your success. My small yard has tremendous variation in sun and shade because of the trees in my yard and in my neighbors yards, and also the trees out along the curb, the house, the shed, the fence and the surrounding buildings. 

For example, this spring I will be moving a little bed of shade-loving hosta that now get almost full sun because of a tree in my neighbor’s yard. The flower beds in the front of the house are almost full-shade now, but they were not that way four years ago then they were installed. This is really bumming me out because I never wanted to be a shade gardener. I love the flowers all summer and fall! Alas, I can still grow them, I just have to change where I grow them in my urban yard. And I am educating myself about growing in the shade.

How to Document Shade and Sun
Six years ago when I first moved to my house, in the early summer I spent a (sunny) day taking photos of the yard every hour to see where the sun and shade landed. I marked a few spots all around the house and every hour or so I took a photo from those same locations. At the end of the day I had a good idea where the sunniest and shadiest locations were and how many hours the sun was hitting sections of the yard. I think I need to do that again this May because of the changes in the height and density of the trees that cast shadow in my yard.

Have Fun with What You Have Available
Shade containers including begonias, creeping jenny
The container garden on the porch step is an example of the extremes in my yard. The cement step is about 10 feet wide and 3 feet deep and this very small space has opposite conditions--one half is full-sun and the other half is full shade. Once I finally figured this out for myself a few years ago, I am excited playing around with what types of plants I put in the containers each year. On the shady side (see photo at left), I usually grow frilly begonias because they need shade and they are so gorgeous to look at when I come in and out of the house.  A few feet away, I fill the pots with sun-loving flowers and herbs (photo above), tying everything together using color.

Set Yourself Up to Succeed
If you are trying to grow plants in the wrong kind of light, they will fail to put it plainly. So be prepared, know where you have the most and least sun and choose plants that will be happy in those conditions.


You can read Part 1 here where I explain all of the places  I find my garden inspiration. 

No comments: