Monday, August 14, 2017

There is Still a lot of Summer Left

Finally some tomatoes are developing on the Brandywine plants. It was all blossom-drop-all-of-the-time in July. According the to the University of Maryland Extension, it can be caused by heat which
we had a lot of in July here in D.C. The cherry tomato plant is slow this year, not flowering as much as previous years. There is still a lot of summer left in the mid-Atlantic and I am hopeful to get a good crop of tomatoes this year.

The green beans, and hopefully some wax beans, are starting to come in now. I should have enough for dinner later in the week!

Sadly the Cinderella pumpkin, or whatever that plant is, has not survived. I think it was the dreaded squash vine borer that killed it. A few weeks ago I bravely dug one of the buggers out and was so proud of myself. The plant perked up again and I thought all was well. But then the leaves started yellowing again, and I got busy at work, getting home after dark, and did not dig around for more worms. Plus, if I did get a fruit now, in mid-August would it even have time to ripen? I give up!

I was away last week so I was excited to get home and see how everything had grown. The zinnias do not disappoint again this year. They have filled in beautifully in their bed and I will have cut flowers for another two months. This is mix of Parks and Thumbelina.


No comments: