Sunday, June 25, 2017

Pumpkins Growing Like Crazy



Pumpkins are growing like crazy
My first report on the pumpkin patch was just a couple of weeks ago. I can’t believe how fast these plants are growing. The Cinderella variety seems to be growing better than the Jacky’s variety-kind of overtaking it actually-but I am going to leave it there for now. And the Cinderella plants (in the front in the photo) are performing very differently. One is sending out long shoots and the other is mounding. All of them are flowering so that’s a good sign. I started a small crop of beans in the patch hoping to get a harvest before the pumpkins took over the plot. Now I am not so sure if they will survive…
Onions ready for harvest?
This is another new addition to my garden this year. I put the sets in the ground on March 1. They all came up and look really good. So now I am not quite sure when to pick them.
Clockwise from top left: Cherry tomato, onions, heirloom tomato, lettuce and bell pepper.
Carrots
The Nantes and Tendersweet carrots are looking good, might be ready for picking soon. I did a couple of rounds of seeds back in March and April as some sprouted, some did not. I really like growing carrots.
Tomatoes
Mixed results so far with the tomatoes. A bunch of cherry plants reseeded from last year so I kept one plant to see what would happen. It is looking good, flowering. I bought Brandywine seedlings at a plant sale in the spring thinking I would try heirlooms this year. The birds decapitated the plants recently so they seem a little small for late June.
Lettuce and Pepper
The lettuce is the big surprise this year. Another new entry in the plot this year, all of the varieties (arugula, spicy mesclun, gourmet blend) I planted have performed really well. The “gourmet blend” from Burpee in particular has resisted bolting in the heat and has lived A LOT longer than I anticipated. I preemptively pulled out most of the arugula and spicy lettuce a couple of weeks ago before it really heated up here and would most likely bolt. But this lettuce just will not succumb to the heat. I had planned on using the space the spring lettuce is in to be a summer red bell pepper. I just can’t bring myself to pull the lettuce out so I squeezed the pepper in there, too!

No comments: