Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Plant those mums in the spring


One aspect of the fall garden that I have grown to love is chrysanthemums. I say “grown to love” because I could never figure out why you would buy this beautiful plant, enjoy it for a few weeks and then get rid of it. After all, they are easy to find in the big-box and grocery stores starting in late summer and it’s tempting to buy a few plants to dress up the patio. Alas, it’s still pretty hot here in the mid-Atlantic in September so the flowers don’t last long – it either gets dried up really quick or the heat fries the flowers.

But then I discovered that you can plant mums in the ground, and with a little bit of attention over the summer, have beautiful flowers year after year in the cool fall when everything else has been zapped by frost. They bloom for a long time in the cooler weather and the colors say “Autumn.” (Annecdotally I have heard that yellow plants do not live well in the ground.)

Hold on to those mums that you are enjoying this fall. You can plant them in the spring and have beautiful flowers for years to come.

I have collected a few plants over the years and planted them in the spring with great success. Once the flowers have died, cut back the plant to about 3 inches and keep alive over the winter. They do need a little water now and again, but they survive just fine outside on my back steps. Then in a cool spring day, I plant them in the flower beds.

I get them to bloom again in the fall by cutting them back to about 2 ½ to 3 inches right around Independence Day. This allows the plants to continue growing and to form flowers at the right time-when I am wearing a sweater and admiring the fall leaf color- and not in the heat of August.

There are borers that can infest the plants, but I have not had this problem to date.

So if your Thanksgiving guests bring a mum, rejoice because you will enjoy that plant for years to come.

Other Resources for Mums
Chrysanthemum Festival at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania runs through November 24, 2018.

No comments: